Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Harry's Seafood Bar and Grille


110 S.E. 1st Street

3 Thumbs Up

Price Range: They're pretty good about keeping meals under 20 bucks each.

Harry's is a tough one for me. In my opinion, it completes the trifecta of fake fancy restaurants on the S.E. 1st block of downtown (Amelianos and Ichiban being the other 2). They play the role of fancy restaurants but aren't really anything special for the most part.

To stay focused on Harry's, though, it's really not a bad restaurant. I think they do serve really decent seafood dishes and you'll probably leave satisfied without much to complain about. Furthermore, despite the reek of corporate backing, it is in actuality a small Florida chain with only 5 locations statewide. Knowing that, it could give one a greater sense of decency by supporting local business.


I stopped in for lunch today and had the blackened redfish with steamed green beans and a salad. It was all pretty good, with the redfish being a bit overcooked, but not terribly dry. Overall, I enjoyed the meal, but with tip, lunch ended up costing me 15 bucks. I've eaten multiple things on the menu, and can't say I've had any major complaints about them. No matter what you order, their bread is quite spectacular and is served with a herb/garlic butter.

To their credit, I don't think they're trying or pretending to be fancy. They go for a New Orleans/Mardi Gras theme, which is kinda weird for a Florida company. But with that, they don't go over the top by decking the walls with a bunch of bullshit. I think they actually pull off a casual, nicer dinner vibe.

Again, I say this place is tough for me because everything about it says that I should hate it, but it's really not a bad restaurant. I also enjoy that they have ample porch seating for nicer times of year.

If you haven't eaten here before, they're not going to turn you onto anything new, but they will serve you some pretty decent seafood.

No comments:

Post a Comment